Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Forgiveness and Spiritual Health




Recently I told a church in the beginning stages of seeking a new pastor becoming a healthy family of faith depended upon their ability to ask for forgiveness from and give forgiveness to each other. There could be no spiritual health in the congregation until everyone was willing to admit their own sins and be ready to forgive the faults in others.

This is not a significantly troubled church to my knowledge. They have no reason to suspect an uprising or a split over a particular issue. They have strong leadership among their membership, and there is a sense of unity in the congregation. They have no church fight from which to repent.

The big picture of the church’s health was not my focus. It was the heart of each individual member. This was my focus and has to be the focus of those members if they are to be spiritually prepared for their new pastor. They needed to be able to look at each other on a Sunday morning during a time of worship and say, “You are my brother and sister. I am not perfect. You are not perfect. Let us celebrate God’s forgiveness so freely given.”

Holding grudges destroys families, friendships, and churches. Nursing emotional wounds prevents them from healing and builds barriers against restored relationships. In the end the only person who loses is the one who refuses to forgive.

Jesus took the concept of forgiveness beyond human relationships. He pointed to its impact upon our relationship with God and our eternal destiny.

Mat 6:14-15 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

How we maintain our relationships with others has a direct bearing upon our relationship with God. As surely as we cannot separate our love of God from our love for our neighbors (Matthew 22:34-40), so we cannot separate our willingness to forgive our neighbor from our desire to be forgiven by God.

If I forgive you, then I am saying I choose to see you through a different set of eyes than if I refused to forgive you. In forgiveness I remove all thought of personal debt. I wipe the slate clean of emotional or physical payment. I see a common basis for our relationship. What I felt had been a wrong against me becomes a memory that no longer can impact our relationship.

The forgiveness can stem directly from a love which says no matter what you do, I love you too much to remember the wrong you did to me or the pain you caused me. Compared to my love for you, anything you do is inconsequential. Even your repentance is not necessary for me to forgive you and seek to restore what we had lost. You are too important to me to allow anything you do to keep me from forgiving you.

That forgiveness only has meaning if it is received. Jesus hung on the cross and spoke words meant for us all.

Luk 23:34 And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

He offered a forgiveness to all, but it only had effect on recipients as it was accepted. To be forgiven means nothing if we refuse to acknowledge it and receive it. When we refuse to forgive others we are saying we are good enough to receive God’s forgiveness, but someone else is not good enough to receive forgiveness from us. That automatically builds a wall between God’s forgiveness and us.

When walls go up, relationships are strained or broken. A church cannot be healthy where such tension exists. Forgiveness must be offered and it must be received. Grudges and a right to revenge must be rejected. Only as we forgive and willingly receive forgiveness do we move toward spiritual health in a church and in our own lives.