Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Don't Speak Legalese!

This week in the mail our office received our updated insurance policy for the association covering vehicles. For the first time, I have to admit, I went through every page, more than 25 of them in the document, printed front and back. I fell asleep at least twice. I had to get a mug full of the most caffeinated stuff in the frig. I took a tour of the hallway. Finally I finished the thing.

Our vehicular policy covers a trailer. We don't have a van or bus. We don't have a fleet of cars. We have a trailer, one twelve-foot trailer. Yet our laws require that all this legalese be in writing to protect us or the insurance company or somebody somewhere. A lot of the language faintly resembled studies in my Hebrew classes or perhaps systematic theology. I fell asleep with those as well.

While buying our home, I asked the attendant real estate lawyer was it really necessary to have to sign a stack of papers approaching five inches think. She said yes. Her explanation should have come as no surprise.

Every paragraph in the stack of documents was there because at some time someone somewhere had tried to beat the system and get the benefit at the expense of someone else. The paragraphs represented attempts to protect the innocent, the gullible, the ignorant, and people like me who just don't like taking the time to read all the fine print. We have to include the legalese to provide order.

I don't speak legalese. I have no interest in learning legalese. I am quite content to allow someone I trust to speak the language for me while I speak a language that comes more easily to the workings of my mental gifts. Yet I cannot escape the presence of legalese in my culture and context.

Jesus had the same problem. He knew the Old Testament Law was there for a reason. He knew it revealed the holiness of the Creator. He knew that it helped define the relationship that was required between Creator and creature. He just didn't stop with saying that is all there was.

The laws are on the books because someone tried to get the best of someone else to their own benefit with no regard for the cost to the other. To keep order we pass laws, lots of laws. The laws serve a purpose. Yet believers in Christ are called to go a step farther. We are called to go beyond the basic statement of mutual respectful treatment and move to the place of the divine nature.

Jesus lumped all those Old Testament laws under two commands, love God with your total being and love your neighbor as yourself. (Matthew 22:34-40) If we are obedient to these two laws, then all the others will be fulfilled. All those paragraphs talking about consideration for others will be fulfilled. All those statements about protection of rights and respecting the needs of others will be fulfilled. All the laws of the land will be satisfied as we love God with all that we are and love our neighbors as we would wish to be loved.

I don't speak legalese. I don't like legalese. Even though he knew every jot and tittle of the Law perfectly, I get the idea that Jesus didn't care much for the language either.