Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sins of the Associational Director of Missions

I have done my best to keep all the Ten Commandments. I am sure, however, I have probably slipped up in a few cases. I don't intend to blatantly lie, but sometimes half truths or partial truths or deceitful innuendoes can come very easily. I try to honor my parents from a three-state distance. I have sought to honor my wife in all ways. Yet I would imagine that God might take issue with how I have honored the Sabbath and his Name at times. There was nothing intentionally blasphemous! But after all I am a grace-saved sinner.

So what are my sins as an associational director of missions? How much space do I have for this blog? How about just a few highlights?
1. Oh, ye of little faith! Lack of faith is a good place to start.
2. Gossip. The little plaque above my desk says, "Dear God, Please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth." His hand isn't always tight enough.
3. Unacceptable criticism. If it is not intended to edify, then don't say it.
4. Coveting. I never have enough of what I want.
5. Lust. Focused upon possessions and positions more than things of the flesh. Twenty years ago that was different.
6. Wasting time. At my age I have got to stop that!
7. Selfishness. Holding back the encouraging word when someone else needs it. Also refer to Number 1.
8. Spirit of unforgiveness. We are supposed to be worshiping a God of second chances. I need to offer more.
9. Weakly allowing the minors to become majors. Too much of the world gets into my thoughts.
10. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Confession smacks of honesty. Repentance speaks of conscience. Determination to change points to God being allowed to do what we sinful mortals always find impossible. May God continue to be patient with his servants.