Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Victory Through Surrender




No one wins a national basketball tournament by giving up. No one wins an election by refusing to seek votes. No one wins a race by walking when everyone else is running. You just cannot win by giving up.

Yet that is what we as believers are called to do. This is nothing original or new. It follows the example given to us by Jesus himself. Is it easy? No, it isn’t. It is diametrically opposite to what we sinful human beings tend to do or want to do.

As we approach Easter, Resurrection Sunday, we must first go through Good Friday, the goodness being recognized in the willingness of Jesus to surrender his life and his relationship with his heavenly Father for the sake of the redemption of mankind. For six hours Jesus suffered the agony of a Roman crucifixion. Those six hours on the cross included three hours we humans experienced as darkness.

Jesus experienced something else. Our only hint as to what was happening to the Son of God was the cry of dereliction, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” During those hours of darkness the union that had existed for all eternity was broken. Jesus had surrendered to curse of the cross and the burden of the sins of all humanity. The result in that moment was he faced it all alone.

Two actions followed to indicate that was not the end. The first were in the last words of Jesus from the cross, “Into your hands I commit my spirit.” Even in the moment Jesus felt the weight of our guilt and the absence of his Father, he found victory.

The second confirmation of this victory would come later. An empty grave on the first day of the week proved the power of redeeming love over the curse of death and the grave. In surrendering to the will of the Father and the suffering of the cross and abandonment, Jesus found the ultimate victory.

Resurrection Sunday is a believer’s confirmation of victory through surrender. Such victory never comes without a price. For Jesus there was the Gethsemane experience in which his own humanity was so clearly revealed. That was followed by the betrayal and desertion of his disciples. Then came the Jewish and Roman trials and the condemnation to a crucifixion. Yet through it all, he never lost faith in his Father to bring about the final victory.

For the Apostle Paul the lesson of victory through surrender came in a different way. Surrender did not come easily. It was not automatic. Through the process, however, Paul did learn the believer is at his strongest and victory is most assured when surrender is complete.

2Co 12:7-10 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

When Paul recognized his strength came from a surrender to the power of God within him, then he was able to know power never before experienced. Victory had come through surrender.

So it is with every believer. To die with Christ, to surrender to Christ, is to be raised to a new life which only he can provide. Jesus’ surrender to the will of the Father was the victory God needed to bring salvation to man. Our surrender to the will of the Father makes that victory personal to each of us. Good Friday is the surrender we will never have to face. Resurrection Sunday is the victory which is now our guarantee.