Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Why Do You Give at Christmas?



Here it is nearing mid-December and I’ve hardly begun to do any Christmas shopping. Frustration sets in and I ask myself why shop at all. Who needs what? Maybe that’s the wrong question. Maybe I should ask who still hasn’t got what? What does “need” have to do with it?

In my house we already have too much stuff. Buying my wife more stuff means getting rid of some still perfectly usable stuff to make room for the new stuff. My children are out on their own and quite capable of buying for themselves any stuff they want when they want it which they do. Buying them more stuff leaves me wondering what stuff would they want versus resent if they had to fake an appreciation for stuff they now have to decide what they will do with it after I am out of sight!

Do I lose what little hair I have left trying to decide what to give whom? Do I try to find out in a sneaky way what they would really like without sounding like I am fishing for a suggestion? Do I just go on and buy everyone a gift certificate to places where the stuff they can buy will be all used up or eaten in a few days, weeks, or months? That is one way to deal with stuff.

Eat the gift. It’s gone. Read the gift and then give it away. It’s gone. Plant the gift (in my case) and when winter comes, it’s dead. It’s gone. There are ways to deal with certain kinds of stuff. Some are more practical than others.

Why do we give a gift at Christmas? Do we give because someone needs what we can give? Do we give because we need to give to relieve some inner compulsion? Do we give because we have so much we have to give it to someone else? Do we give because that is a simple act that says we remember and we care?

When God expressed his ultimate love for mankind by giving us a part of himself, Jesus Christ (John 3:16), he hoped there would be a response, but he didn’t require it. He loved us and gave us a part of himself to reveal how desperate he was to restore the broken relationship between Creator and creature. He gave us the Gift because he knew we needed it. He gave us the Gift because it was something we needed and could not provide for ourselves. That is really a pretty good reason for giving a gift at any time.

How would your Christmas look this year if every gift you gave went to two recipients? The thing of stuff went to a person who needed it but couldn’t provide it for themselves. The note of appreciation went to a person whom you admire, respect, or love saying that a gift was given in their name to a most worthy recipient, be it person or organization. How would you feel if you received such a note?

I love to eat out, but my age and physique say that I should do it a lot less. I love to garden, but you can only do so much on a twenty square foot plot. I love to work in a wood shop, but time is against me. Yet to get a note in the mail, perhaps a pretty Christmas card, telling me that a gift had been given to one of my favorite charities in my name would bring tears to my eyes and probably send them cascading down my cheeks.

I’ll probably send my elderly parents a small box of chocolates (stuff easily shared). My wife and sons are still on the question list. For myself I think I’ll offer a couple of suggestions for favorite Christian music group cds and a listing of my favorite charities. Knowing that someone who really needs stuff got it because of what someone else thought of me would make my Christmas complete. I cannot think of a better reason to give.