Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Prayer: A Benefit to Whom?

Two recent events have led me to put a few thoughts about prayer on digital paper. The first was a blog entry by a retired missionary, Leroy Seat (theviewfromthisseat, Aug. 15, 2012). The second was a local prayer seminar led by Chris Schofield of the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina. Dr. Seat concluded that intercessory prayer had at least as much impact on the one who was praying as it did upon God or the object of the prayer, perhaps more; perhaps always the impact of intercessory prayer was to be seen upon the one praying. Dr. Schofield without trying to explain how prayer works simply said that God uses prayer and doesn't always bother to tell us how or in what fashion.

May I share a few of my questions, generally for which I have no answers satisfactory even for myself? They also represent issues raised in questions for centuries. There is nothing new here. The issues and encouragements offered by both of these scholars should be a part of every believer's struggle "to attain...to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ." (Ephesians 4:13) We can study prayer, read about prayer, hear testimonies about prayer, but in the final analysis we must practice prayer to learn of its purpose, benefits, and power.

Do I need to pray? Jesus thought it important enough to give a model prayer (Luke 11:2-4) to his disciples. The Fourth Gospel has the entire seventeenth chapter set aside to record a very personal prayer of Jesus. He took time out from his ministry to pray (Luke 6:12) on special occasions.

Do I need to pray for life's necessities? I serve an all-knowing God. Why should I tell him what he already knows especially in the area of my needs (wants?)? Jesus was blunt in his teaching on prayer in this matter (Matthew 6:31-33). Our heavenly Father knows our needs. Focus on righteousness instead.

Do I focus my prayers on praise for God and his revelation in Christ and nature? The Psalms are filled with such prayers (Psalms 63, 65, 66, 92, 95, et al). The Apostle Paul calls for believers to sing songs of praise to God (Colossians 3:16).

Do I pray for that or those who are beyond my personal touch, intercessory prayer? If my prayer exists only to prompt me to write a card, make a phone call, or send a donation, then is my prayer any different from the compassionate decision of the atheist who sends a check to Feed the Children? God as a personal Being becomes irrelevant when the idea is taken to the extreme.

Does persistent prayer make a difference? Jesus offered a parable (Luke 18) that emphasized the importance of persistent prayer. The Apostle Paul told his churches to pray at all times (I Thessalonians 5:17; Ephesians 6:18-19).

Prayer is communication, with one's self or with someone else. It must impact the one who prays. If it does not have an impact on others, then it is a form of meditation, self-evaluation, and encouragement and nothing else. We should seek to follow, even if we cannot completely understand, the Bible's guidance on prayer. Is prayer viewed as meditation that leads to self-improvement and a more vigorous and righteous involvement in the world? Is prayer presented as a divine tool placed in mortal hands that allows man to be involved in his Creator's work?

These and other questions can fill books and have done so for ages. As I said, I offer nothing new here. These are but the thoughts of a pilgrim who is following the path many others have already travelled.

I choose to see prayer as an opportunity, deserved or otherwise, understood or otherwise, to be a part of the Creator's continuing involvement in his creation. As surely as the Creator-Father left his initial creation unfinished according to the earlier story in Genesis 1, and presented it to man to "have dominion over and subdue", today he still calls his children to join him in finishing creation through the gift of prayer. I can offer no scientific solution or philosophical clarification, only the same path that always involves man's relationship with God. "Without faith it is impossible to please God..." (Hebrews 11:6)