Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Associational Accountability

One of the great questions in the Bible was addressed by God to Elijah as the prophet on the lam was standing on Mount Horeb, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" (I Kings 19). This could be a pure existential question, the irony being that it is the Creator asking the creature for an answer. It could also be a simple and straight forward question asking why here instead of somewhere else.

The Lord gave very little attention to Elijah's response. I wonder what the Lord thinks of my own attempts to answer that question.

Elijah was the prophet of the Lord. He was accountable to the Lord for a faithful response to his calling. In no less way I am responsible to God for a faithful response to his calling on my life. In the current context that means a faithful response as an associational missionary. This involves an accountability not only for my own life, but also an accountability for my leadership in the asociational structure and a handling of associational resources whatever form they may take. Accountability is a hard burden to bear!

Yet accountable we all must be. The associational representatives voted to ask me to fill this position. We both hoped that it was done under the guidance of and in the will of God. To accept that last point is to say we both recognize a greater Power than just a group of churches in control of the situation and setting the standards for expectations. I am more accountable to God than I am to these associational members. Accountability is a hard burden to bear!

His calling. His standards, His resources. His expectations. Ultimately his job description. Regardless of what individual pastors or churches or groups of churches think, say, or do, I am first and foremost accountable to God. Then I am also accountable to the association who took action believing that I was supposed to be here.

God's standards basically revolve around faithfulness to his nature. The association's expectations basically revolve around meeting their perceived needs. I will be held accountable to them and evaluated by them based upon my ability in one way or another to meet their needs.

Unfortunately this can often mean answering questions they won't ask and perceiving needs they won't admit. Yet when you do either or both, you are praised as one who is always there for them to help them be more effectvie in their context. This is good because you are never too sure you are getting it just right or whose toes you will step on while providing the answer you feel they need.

Accountability springs from responsibility. He who is not responsible will not be held accountable. When I took this position, responsibilities came along with it. In a most glorious spiritual form, those responsibilities are defined by God. Assuming those responsibilities made me accountable to the churches who constitute those responsibilities. Much more so assuming those responsibilities made me accountable to God. Part of my responsibilities involves leading the churches to see they have that same accountability. God will hold me accountable for that!